Sunday, December 5, 2010

Humbled Nose

A little more on Good Hope Road. The story was told in two points of view...a girl about 21 and an old woman in her 60's. The girl was always thought to be white trash and the old woman was one of those women who was part of the garden party. She snubbed her nose at the lower class and gossiped about everyone. However, a tornedo hits the town and the little white trash girl saves her life and the town drunk helps her with her memory (she's starting to forget things). She starts to realize that they are both good people. The girl was misjudged by people and never given a chance. The drunk was a good man who just had alot of crummy luck and missed his wife. Furthermore, when the girl's mother was dying of cancer he was the only one in the entire town who would bring them milk, eggs, and vegetables and ask about the family. So it made me start to think, do we misjudge those who APPEAR to be beneath us because they have less money or because of who their family is? I have often times been humbled by these revelations as i get to know certain people. However, we often find that trash is just that, trash. Often times people are considered trash because they are crude, low mannered, and drink all the time. But most of society does that anyway. Maybe they drink more expensive alcohol and go to night clubs rather than bars, but aren't the upper class doing the same thing as the lower class, everything is just more expensive? So i wonder, what makes the difference between "just having fun" and being trash? Are we really so superior? I think we have alot of gawl to snub our noses at people when we are guilty of the same crimes. Can you say "Hypocrite"?

3 comments:

  1. Judging people by what others "see" and/or "say" is really common now. I myself don't automatically judge someone by the what they appear to be. This sort of relates to what I just said, I showed my grandma a picture of a tattoo that I'm going to get over the summer (probably) and she said,"You don't want to be seen as one of 'those' people, do you?" I laughed at this (not when she was in front of me, but later) because my mom has a tattoo on the back of her shoulder. Granted the one I'm going to get will cover alot of my arm, but still.

    Now if you actually know someone to be a straight bad person, then things change a little bit. I'm not saying to "talk smack" or what not about that person, just think about what could cause them to be "that way." There's a big difference in thinking what someone is and actually knowing what that person is "all about."

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny, Karisa, you write a lot like I speak when I'm arguing with someone... by asking a bunch of questions to reach a conclusion. Lawyers do that frequently as well.

    The answer is in all likelihood "yes" - most people are very closed-minded. People frequently refuse to associate with others who do not have a similar cultural disposition and mutual interests.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that most people judge others by first glance or acquaintance all the time, and usually without even knowing it. I like to think of myself who does not, but frankly it is hard not to. When you are brought up a certain way in society, who are taught to believe certain things and ideals; we have our own sense of what is good and bad, right and wrong, ugly and beautiful, but does any of it really matter... in the end, a person is a person. Everyone has "dirty laundry" or a secret that would probably discredit some of their so called status so in all actuality, why should any of us believe that we are better than the next person?

    ReplyDelete