Friday, December 10, 2010

Is it Time to Grow Up?

so the last book of the series i'm reading by Lisa Wingate is called The Language of Sycamores. In the novel Karen, the main character, continually looks back at when she was younger and still innocent. She had dreams and hopes and still saw the world as a good place. However, as she got older, she became cynical and her days became monotonous. She was at constant compitition with her sister.
In today's society, adults can't seem to get kids to grow up fast enough. In Junior High priciples are trying to get us to already find a career and plan for college. Parents (and this is most disturbing) are pushing their young daughters to dress like a whore so they can be popular. Sons are being pushed to be the best at sports and be considered a star by the age of 10. Most of us didn't know or care about sex until junior high. now, i know 4th graders who know as much as I do about sex...and i'm a SENIOR! So when should we grow up? Is innocence and youth so outdated? And if it's not....what can WE do to change things back to how they are supposed to be? I have a 5 year old brother and it worries me about the society that he is living in. Some of the kids he goes to school with have mothers who are barely 20. I can name 5 girls right now who are pregnant teens. How did our society get here? I don't know about you, but I don't want not just my kids, but anyone's kids to continue to grow up in a society such as this. I want to get them back to youth and to stop forcing them to be as knowledgable about work, sex, stress, and death as I am...when I'm ten years older then them. So, are we going to bring a change to the future, or are we going to continue to let this injustice to children continue? And if we want change...what can we do to bring it about?...in fact, CAN WE?

3 comments:

  1. I don't know any pregnant teens! :/ Bummer. Introduce me? What is "compitition?" I am not familiar with the term.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mitchell...they are already preggo. you don't need to know them. and don't make fun of me. i was tired. :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Innocence and youth do seem to be outdated in our society. It seems that if one doesn't do "this" or "that" they are almost like an outcast, that's probably not the best word but you know what I mean. Our society is pretty messed up I'll give it that. As for parents, if you're forcing your child to dress this way or be this good at this sport simply to be popular or whatever, get your head checked and change your ways, just because you weren't "cool" in highschool doesn't mean you have to make your kid do the things you didn't. As for the "preggo" teens out there, make better decisions and don't be dumb, you're not ready for a kid yet, most people in their thirties aren't ready for kids yet. Can the future be changed? Perhaps. It all just depends, educational programs about sex and what not are out there, I'm not sure how much they impact people, but maybe they do help a bit. I think that the only real change that can be made is simply a slight reduction of all these things that go on, sadly I don't think they will ever completely go away.

    ReplyDelete